Keeping Austin Weird

an experience of self discovery in Austin TX

Monday, March 8, 2010

I will miss you John Hughes

WOW, Last night was amazing. Not only did Sandra Bullock win for the movie The Blind Side, they payed tribute to John Hughes by playing a montage of some of his most famous films. John Hughes is known for launching the career of Molly Ringwald, who was very popular in the 80s. He made quotes like "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?" very famous. Some of my favorite films, like Sixteen Candles, are the result of this famous writer and producer who was a revolutionary for his time. He was addressing topics and themes that no one else was even mentioning. John set out to portray middle class America from the perspective of a teenager. Many of his main characters were not from the "in" crowd, but were average high school students facing the same issues we all face of trying to fitting in and be accepted.



One of my favorite scenes of all times is at the end of Sixteen Candles when Sam, Molly Ringwald, and Jake, Michael Schoeffling, are sitting on a glass table leaning over a birthday cake kissing. I just love the ending to that film. Sam, an underclassmen, who has had a crush on the upper classmen jock Jake finally gets noticed, and on her birthday gets her birthday wish, a kiss.


In writing this blog I just realized that Michael Schoeffling was also in one of my all time favorite movies, Wild Heart's Can't Be Broken. I was introduced to this disney classic by one of my best friends Katherine. I spent many high school evenings at her house watching this movie. We were in love with AL, Michael Schoeffling, who taught girls to dive horses. Again, another hopelessly romantic film about two individuals who under normal circumstances might never of come together.

I hope you all are enjoying your Monday afternoon. It is raining here in Austin as I try to get some of my work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment