Keeping Austin Weird

an experience of self discovery in Austin TX

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscars Night

My FAVORITE holiday has come! THE OSCARS!!! I am sorry my loves for being absent on my blog but I am back to celebrate one of my most favorite nights of the year.

Last year I spent this wonderful evening with my friends freezing on a couch in the German house. This year I am watching it on my own couch in my apartment in Austin. While this year I am not with my closest and dearest friends, I am still with them in spirit. There is something about the Oscars that is so magical. It might be the amazing dresses that drift down the red carpets, the Barbara Walter's special that is a true Oscar tradition, or the underlying stories that come alive transporting us to a magical world.

In my opinion Hugh Jackson did an amazing job last year, so Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin have large shoes to fill. There are going to be a few differences this year with a larger movie pool. The academy did this hoping that more films would get recognized and gain national attention. I wonder though if having more films in the mix will actually change the outcome.

One of my favorite parts of this night are the acceptance speeches. Yes, some of them can we long and annoying, but some of them are simply amazing. On cold dark days I have been known to youtube some classic speeches like Julia Roberts, Helen Mirren, and Tom Hanks. Their 1 or 2 min speeches really hit home and you can see the passion and emotion in their expressions. These amazing, talented actors and actresses have the ability to transport you into another world, and that is why I love movies. Every time I watch another film I enter into a different world where new different things are happening. It gives me the opportunity to have new and different experiences that I might not of been able to have.

Looking back over this past year there have been many standout performances, but none in my eyes were as wonderful as Sandra Bullock. This past year she stared in not one, not two, but three films. Each of them were very different but very poignant, which only proves her versatility. I feel like I can relate to her characters, but also I feel motivated to go out and make a difference. While I would love to see Sandra Bullock win I feel sad to see Meryl Streep nominated again and to not win. I think she has been nominated more times then anyone else but she has not won recently, which makes me sad because she really is an amazing actress. But as my friend Megan would say, "It is all about the dress." Those that dress the part, win the Oscar. Kate Winslet won the Oscar last year, and we all knew it immediately when we saw her in her dress, because it was an Oscar dress! So who ever has the prettier dress, Meryl or Sandra, will win.

Tonight is the night when dreams will come true! It is also a night to pay tribute to those films that have made laugh, smile, and even cry. While not all of these films received a nod from the academy, they get top marks in Mary's world.










Mary's favorite movies of 2009 -








1 comment:

  1. Nice favorite movie choices!!!! I think Young Victoria tops my list, too!

    ReplyDelete